Pages

August 20, 2012

Personalities

This article came up on SpouseBUZZ recently, "Does it Take a Certain Personality to be a Military Spouse?" and I thought it was pretty interesting, especially since I'm new to this and it'd be good to know if I need to adopt a new personality trait or get rid of and old one!

The author, Heather Sweeney, says that she is an introvert. And although there is a difference between being introverted and being shy, as the very first commenter states, the author describes how she is shy in social situations. I'm like that too sometimes, and I also become very worn out after socializing for extended period of time-- even if it's with people I know. Entertaining can occasionally be energizing for me, but it's mostly draining.

Read more after the jump..


That first commenter explains "Where one falls on the introvert/extrovert spectrum has a lot more to do with how one is "energized." An introvert is "energized" by being alone and can find time with crowds to be draining; even if she enjoys the time spent with other people; she needs alone time to "recharge" her mental batteries afterwards." Yep, I definitely need my recharge time!

Heather then goes onto say that people who are introverted don't do well in military life, although I think she actually means "shy personalities." I can definitely see that. If you're not willing to go out and meet people and you just want to stay inside with a book, you're going to miss out on some fun military adventures!

Many commenters said that independence is a trait that a "seasoned" military wife has. I'm not sure if one can be shy, yet independent. I know you could be an introvert, based on the explanation above, and be independent, but not shy. This article and following comments really got me thinking about my own personality and independence.

I consider myself to have been independent in my later years of high school. Yeah right, every high schooler says that. But really! I had my first job at 16 when I could drive, I was a honor roll student even while working part time, I had a long term relationship (which didn't work out, but I got something better!), and I moved out of my mom's house halfway through my senior year. I moved into my aunt's house, and a few months later my boyfriend (who is now my husband) moved in too. So, there we were: two 17-year olds living at an aunt's house, commuting 20 minutes to school, working separate jobs, saving money, paying bills (insurance and cell phones), and we both graduated high school with over a 3.5 GPA each. That seems pretty independent to me!

Five years later, I'm a college graduate and a grown-ass woman, and I actually feel less independent than I did in that senior year of high school. I guess I'm not technically less independent; after all, I moved across the state to go to school and I only go home on holidays, I've been paying all of my own bills, I lived by myself for a whole year before Hubbs moved in, I got married, I have a dog, I've had a job throughout college, etc. etc. etc. So maybe that means financial independence.. I'm not relying on my parents' money and I can make sound financial decisions.. but that's not having an independent personality.

I think the reason I feel like I don't have an independent personality is because I'm clingy. I totally want to go out and try new things, take new adventures, meet new people, and be active, but I don't want to do it alone! So, does that make me an extrovert now? I can't convince myself to go out alone while Hubbs is at work, to take the dog on a hike for instance, because I'm shy about coming in contact with new people if I'm alone. I don't even like having to go grocery shopping my myself! So this is weird: I won't go out and have my own adventures because I'm uncomfortable being around strangers in any environment if I'm alone, but I would like doing those same things if I had someone to do it with. Shy, clingy, and dependent.

I think I'll be okay in military life, though, because I'm not so shy that I won't be able to attend functions to make friends or meet neighbors. And once I do make new friends at a new base, I'll be able to go on adventures with them, have workout partners, playdates for the pup, and whatever!

Wow! I think my rambling is complete! Thoughts?

----------------------
All content is © Crossing into the Blue unless otherwise specified, and may NOT be re-used or re-distributed in ANY way, for commercial use OR non-commercial use, without my consent. "Commercial use" is to include blogs or web sites that use feeds in place of original content to generate traffic to them and then use ads, sponsored links, or affilate links to generate income.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No comments:

Leave some Love!