Pages

September 5, 2012

PCSing!

So last week, when I was all stressing out about not having orders yet, Hubbs finally got his orders! This is very good news, because I was worried that something had gone wrong in the paperwork or that he had been forgotten about, and that he might not go Active until another 9 months from now. But, luckily everything's great.. the orders were what we were expecting: same date, same place.. so we're happy and good to go!

He even got me "Orders Flowers!" (See the picture after the jump!)

My Orders Roses from Hubbs

Now, the only drawback I see is because we didn't have our orders given to us months ago, we don't have very long to plan. We've got to get all the paperwork settled, get packed, get the house cleaned, etc. etc., in just over 3 weeks. This will be our very first big, grown-up move! We are even taking a trip home to collect all the odds and ends (and leftover wedding gifts!) that we will take with us.

It's such a huge step and there are so many unknowns! He's starting his Air Force career, we've never even traveled to where we're going, I'm a new AF wife who's trying to coordinate but most times I can't get very far! Listen, I'm pretty sure I called the entire Air Force yesterday (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I know you know what I mean) because I was trying to get some stuff settled with our housing. The housing office said they couldn't process our request because they needed certain proof that I am his "dependent." Since he's a recently commissioned officer from a university, they don't process orders with spouses on them even though I have already enrolled in DEERS. So, they needed some sort of proof of eligibility in Tricare-- but I'm ineligible until he's been AD for 30 days-- or proof of enrollment in the DEERS system by what's called a "Page 2" form. Well, his detachment doesn't have access to the Page 2 stuff, and they said to wait til we get to the base to get that form. --I can't wait to get there, I need housing before then!!-- I was telling the housing office that I am enrolled in DEERS as a dependent, I even have my Military ID! After offering to scan it to them, I was informed that copying your Military ID is illegal (just so you know!); I guess it's not like a drivers license or something! So, luckily, we convinced the lady to process our housing application with his orders and our marriage certificate. Hopefully we'll be on the waiting list soon!

Because this is our very first move, we don't have a lot of stuff, and some of the bigger furniture items that are here belong to my landlord anyway, Hubbs and I decided to do a DITY (PPM) move. So now we're in the process of planning the moving truck, travel plans, hotels, etc.

So you remember how I told you that I'm a planner? Well, you know that I'LL be the one to plan this move since Hubbs proclaims that he just "does better on the fly." (Yeah, right.) Anyways, I've already found a ton a great resources and checklists (yay!) on the internet that I'd like to share with you! These are mostly focused on DITY moves, but can be helpful for any PCS in general.

An overview of the DITY move from Military.com
8 Steps to a Smooth DITY Move from Military.com
Awesome Countdown Checklists from Military.com
PCS Guide from the Army Wife Network
DITYMovers.com
DoD Regulation Covering the DITY Program

I hope these are helpful, and if you've got any other resources feel free to leave 'em in the comments! I'll keep you updated on the progress, but at this point, only expect an update per week until we get to our new home. :-)
----------------------
All content is © Crossing into the Blue unless otherwise specified, and may NOT be re-used or re-distributed in ANY way, for commercial use OR non-commercial use, without my consent. "Commercial use" is to include blogs or web sites that use feeds in place of original content to generate traffic to them and then use ads, sponsored links, or affilate links to generate income.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

  1. I'm assuming our moving dates are pretty much the same since we are also moving in about 3 weeks. I have no idea how you already have an ID, I was told I wasn't able to get one until my hubby was active. Anyway, I also like to plan everything and I'm getting super stressed with the impending date although, we are not doing a DITY move. We've been trying to get everything straight with the TMO for about two weeks and it has been a headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica!

      We decided that it would just be too stressful to deal with movers because of the rental situation we're in at the moment. Good luck with the TMO and your move! We'll keep in touch and compare moving stories once it's all said and done. :)

      As far as the ID goes, he filled out a DD 1172 form, and we went together to the closest RAPIDS site with every kind of identification you can imagine. He's technically Reserves at the moment, so maybe that's how they were able to process it.

      Great to hear from you, and good luck again on preparing for your move!

      Delete