Pages

December 21, 2012

The End of the World?

It's dark, cloudy, and rainy where I am this morning, but at least meteors aren't falling from the sky and it's not the zombie apocalypse! Well.. not yet, at least!

So, I know I've been bad about keeping up with this blog recently.. Sorry! I'm gonna try to do a good job to condense the last few months into one post, and I probably won't write again until after the new year. But maybe!

Thanks to Facebook, I was able to meet a lot more people than I thought I would in the first two months of being in a new town. I was also pleasantly surprised at how many young, recently married couples without children there are at this base!

For Thanksgiving, I had figured that Hubbs and I would just celebrate by ourselves. It would be our very first married Thanksgiving that we wouldn't be travelling around to different family's houses and stuffing our bellies at 3-4 turkey dinners in on day. Phew! So I compiled a Pinterest board (you know me) with all kinds of fun Thanksgiving recipes that I could reduce to make just enough for the two of us.



Well, as the day got closer, I was hearing from a few of my younger spouse friends that they didn't really have any big plans either. So, in the spirit of the holiday, I decided to invite some people over to our place to share food and good company on Thanksgiving day! We had a great spread, too. Two types of turkey, everything on that Pin Board, a green bean casserole, rolls, delicious garlic artichoke dip-smothered bread, AND a cranberry pie! It was so yummy, and all 7 of us (plus 2 dogs) had a great time.

Since then, I've been busy getting the house ready for Christmas. We started the decorations early, and gifts have been piling up under the tree. Hubbs and I were just saying to each other last night how crazy it is that all the gifts under our tree are just for us (and the dog!), and how fortunate we are to have been able to do that for each other, AND how thankful we are to have such a loving family who sent us gifts too!

We picked out a real tree at a local nursery, I've got Christmas scents on all my wall plugins, plus candles too, lights and garland around the entertainment center, all of the baking DONE as of yesterday, stockings are ready to be filled, and our gifts to others are being shipped out today! I also made a music playlist for Christmas morning, bought Christmas coffee, did a huge grocery shopping trip so that we wouldn't run out of anything while the stores are closed, and I'm preparing to get stuff ready for our Christmas day feast!

I grew up participating in my aunt's tradition of making Mexican food on Christmas eve, so Hubbs and I decided to have Mexican Christmas Breakfast! I'm talkin' slow-cooked barbacoa beef inside cheesy-scrambled-egg-filled quesadillas, topped with salsa, guacamole, and fresh cilantro! Maybe some refried beans and mexi-rice too. And don't forget the Coronas with lime! :-D Then we'll just eat barbacoa everything for the next few days. Barbacoa burritos, tacos, nachos, etc... It's gonna be awesome!

Well, that's all for now.. Til next time!
----------------------
All content is © Crossing into the Blue unless otherwise specified, and may NOT be re-used or re-distributed in ANY way, for commercial use OR non-commercial use, without my consent. "Commercial use" is to include blogs or web sites that use feeds in place of original content to generate traffic to them and then use ads, sponsored links, or affilate links to generate income.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    I'm one of those AF military spouses on the "other end" than you....my husband has been in 32 years. I found your blog through a Pinterest link and thought it would be good for me to read (and remember) what it was like at the very beginning.
    Keep writing! I don't get the chance to post as often as I'd like to on my blog but it's such a great outlet. I wish I had had this when we first started this adventure back in the early 80's!
    I hope your life as a mil spouse is as rewarding as mine has been.
    ~Julie Kowalski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Julie! Thanks for stopping by!
      I bet you've had so many great adventures from 32 years of military life. :)
      Cheers!

      Delete